Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Renovation - Part I
















Well, I guess I asked for it. The bathroom is tore up and believe it or not, I am not stressing over the mess, YET. I have give Sabrina Cart-Blanche in doing her old bathroom over, not realizing that the drywall may be coming down and new, mold free drywall will be installed. They just don't make houses of the days of old so I will do it right, since I will most likely live in here through my retirement years. At the request of my daughter Andrea, I will post some regular pictures of the transformation regularly, as it is much easier now with electronic devices to snap and upload quickly. For my sanity, I am only working on a single project at a time. Will need to finish the bathroom before my parents come to stay for 3 weeks in April this year. Should have the new colors on the wall and the new vanity and fixtures in as well as hooking the already purchased and installed energy efficient toilet back up. The most dreaded task is recaulking it all, as it is messy and takes a bit to dry completely. Have to go shopping for new fixtures and vanity yet, still trying to decide on the right color, then there is the task of choosing a theme and purchasing new towels and the like. Something simple really is never that, so much thought and planning to consider.

Sabrina has the "installing drywall" instructions from the Internet open on my computer and I guess this will really happen soon, hopefully this weekend, in order that I might be able to start coloring the rest of the room. I never really considered fixtures until just now, but am going toward the brushed nickel look, clean and easy to upkeep as well as being a classic look. I am getting more traditional in my interior design selection, a change from my current contemporary look. I believe age has a way of doing that, becoming more classical and rich looking. The south sure has that appeal here. And the patients whom I visit weekly have provided me with many different varieties of decor and color as well as style.

Had to take a break here to get that first sip of coffee, ah, the delicacy of good coffee. Sorry to get off track here, but need my java in the morning. So wonderful doing the slow raising and welcoming a new day. Will have to stretch and work out next then do my reading.

Back to the house. As noted in Andrea's blog, the house was built in 1985 and has all the original workings except for the new roof, windows and A/C units/heat pumps. All energy efficient, which is evident in the monthly savings on the electric bill. Solar would have nice but the technology has not really been affordable as yet. Upon purchase of our home in 1991, we immediately installed an in ground pool, which has been upgraded with new liner and cover, a must when you live in the humidity here and have small children. During latter years of my children's youth, the pool sat empty and neglected, as they were too busy with boys, school, athletics to name a few, but has recently become the popular hot spot for the neighbors and me. I used that pool almost daily this past summer and plan the same this year. Nothing better than to feel the water on your bare skin during the humid nights. A hot tub has been added to the enclosed deck which also gets a lot of activity year round. It is especially nice when it is freezing cold outside and the steam is all about you and the sun is rising. A new fresh coat of paint sits on the exterior of the house. Kevin has been faithful to maintain this over the years. Gutters will need to be upgraded at some point, but no hurry on that as yet. I believe one could upgrade just about everything if having an endless checkbook. I am looking at the time and realize I must turn attention to other tasks, so I will close on this installment of the renovations. Look for updates soon to come. Have a blessed day, one and all.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I think you should get white everything and then paint the wall an ocean blue and you can get chocolate, blue, and some sea green accents to go with it. Wish I was there to help, I have so many ideas...Where are the pictures???